Friday, April 28, 2017

Points of contact

While waiting for the blue piece mentioned in an earlier post to dry, I started experimenting with possibly mounting the gutskin. I like the idea of what it's mounted on participating in the composition, and considered the surface of the mounting board to be very different from the gutskin.  A shiny manufactured surface, which I achieved with colored epoxy resin.




Detail (different light)



I cut reveal holes and cut the gutskin smaller than the board, nailing it with 4 contact points.  It will be interesting to see how the gutskin reacts to the board when it completely dries.

The juxtaposition of extremely different material is my intention.  The unpredictability of the natural gutskin (the black I used is also a simple egg tempura made from coal), nailed down to a pre-fabricated board covered in the high gloss of epoxy resin. 

natural/manufactured
toxicity
nature/grace
extremes
submission

Man-made destruction and the re-creation from that destruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment