Monday, July 13, 2015

It's surprisingly difficult to figure out how to paint on guts....

In the interest of branching out on what medium I paint on it was suggested I try a more living substance that would mimic the idea of living skin, a la tattooing. Parchment and velum are totally viable and very interesting options. And I am ordering them, but a perhaps more hardcore option was presented....a grosser, smellier, messier, less conventional, kind of crazy option. (Uh, yeah duh I want that one!).  So it has come about that I am attempting to cut, stretch, and dry porcine casings to paint on them.  I bought the casings while still in Florida visiting my parents. I dutifully went to work on their patio, cutting and stretching the casing out on an old canvas. It wasn't so much stretching as it was just smoothing them out on the canvas, and they would just stick there.  And yes it was smooshy, and stunk, Lawddddd!!!
How they come. yummmmm
Cutting





How it adhered to canvas
So that was that, so far. About an hour later my Mom came home to find this masterpiece drying on her patio.  Evidently a pig gut painting is not on my Mom's Christmas list. It was not well received. Something about 'river rats' being attracted to them (she lives between the river and the ocean). Even worse was the explanation I attempted to give, defending the right and relevance to work with pig poop shooters.......giving examples of other artists that used kinda gross non-conventional media, Chris Ofili and elephant dung etc ('and Mom He's awesome!').  Eventually I just apologized, because honestly she has a great point, what the hell am I doing fucking around with pig intestine?  But what the hell was I doing putting permanent marks on skin? And for that matter , what the hell am I doing painting anyway? 

No comments:

Post a Comment