Wednesday, July 15, 2015

"The artist lives in an atmosphere of perpetual failure." -Harry Crews


fig. 1
fig. 2
fig. 3
fig. 4
fig. 5


























So let's talk about guts and art. Art and guts. Artguts. From the first drying attempt of the casings I only yielded that much (fig.1). For the most part the casing dried INTO the canvas, of which I hadn't intended to use in the art piece, but was using to dry the casings on. I had initially wanted to be able to use the casings independently of any other surface. After that fail, I rethought the approach as to actually pasting them on the surface I chose for the art piece. So initiated round two. I readied a panel box with desired watercolor paper and wrapped the front and sides completely with casing. The cool thing about casing is that it thins out as you pull and 'mush' it into place. 

***It's hilarious to me that I am discovering how to manipulate intestine for a desired visual effect, please don't send the paddywagon and the nice men in the white coats just yet!!!***

I was very happy with the end product (fig.2) and quickly showed all my friends on facebook.  Then as the sun started to fade from my windows and I heard the telltale rumble of a southern summer afternoon shitstorm, I realized (as I looked down at the damn WARNING labels on the casings container, something about cooking them correctly to prevent bacterial infection blah blah)......that I couldn't exactly paint on this salmonella box using THE method of painting that I do. The act of  'spit-shading' involves putting the brush that was just on the paper in your mouth. 

Spit-shade: a two brush painting technique used by tattooers to blend the black, greys and color of watercolor or liquid acrylic to produce highly desired smooth transitions. Literally placing one brush in your mouth to absorb saliva and using that spit brush to draw out pigment applied with other brush. 

I'm not a mathematician, but I don't think spit-shading on a potentially health hazardous painting surface adds up.  DUHHH, shit. 

sal·mo·nel·la

ˌsalməˈnelə/
noun
  1. a bacterium that occurs mainly in the intestine, especially a serotype causing food poisoning.



.....'occurs mainly in the INTESTINE'..... Tra la la, whatevs.  But in the interest of preserving life, I decided my next issue was eradicating bacteria. So, maybe cooking it would do the trick ? (and this is where reality really
starts to blur) 'I'll just throw it in the oven for 5 mins!' Well I did, and before it burst into flames I grabbed it out, but the casing had already popped and curled off the edges (fig.3, 4). FAIL.

Um so toss the idea all together right? It was DOA, engine seized, a pulled hamstring, the Griswalds Christmas turkey....

Well, no! What fun is that? You gotta be tough when you're stupid, so back to the drawing board....

This time I mixed a solution of bleach and anti-bacterial soap and pre-soaked the casing. then washed. Did this a few times, rewrapped the now cooled board and dried it. The washed casings have a finer texture, and are even easier to meld to form (hell yes). The dried surface pulls a good line as it turns out, shading is different, but interesting. Also the ability to layer casings, as they are translucent, after painting gives really cool effect, as well as the ability to tear into it. Figure 5 is the box after messing around quite a bit with it. I will leave this as the experimental piece probably. There's some interesting things going on and it does very much give off a 'living' vibe. Today I have started another piece. I didn't get sick from that day so I think I'm good. Right?  



"It's not tragic to die doing what you love."    
                                   
         -words of the late great Patrick Swayze in Point Blank



No comments:

Post a Comment