Monday, September 26, 2016

Caught a train to Berlin and met my Mentor...






Before learning I would be moving to Germany I was interested in artists who worked during the Weimar Republic, such as Jeanne Mammen:


Jeanne Mammen, Berlin Street Scene, 1927-29

How fortuitous the discovery I would be moving there.  Even more amazing I'd be able to travel to Berlin to meet with my current Mentor, Davide Zucco.

The move to Germany was exponentially more complicated than originally expected, for both logistic and personal reasons.  Why I didn't think moving my life and three kids to a foreign land was going to be anything but crazy, I have no idea...I thought I would be in the studio (of which I did not have) upon landing.

Now that things are settled, getting back to work in this amazing place has been the most important thing and extremely welcome, in addition to exploring places I've only previously read about.

At first getting back to work was difficult, setting up a life outside the US was beginning to give me rapidly new perspective on issues I realized I previously saw with more of a limited worldview.  Going back to work I realized I needed to expand. I feel incredibly fortunate especially for the opportunity to gain this new information, however my intended work has grown into something else, or perhaps transcended.

In the first meet with my Mentor we spoke of work transcending the work before it.  It doesn't completely abandon the work before, but takes what it needs and moves forward.  I completely understand this idea, and look forward to working more and what comes out of this semester.


No comments:

Post a Comment